Dania Beach was the first official municipality to be incorporated into Broward County. Starting as a settlement called Modello, it was incorporated in November 1904. Most of the 35 residents were of Danish ancestry, and they changed the name of the town to Dania. On January 4, 1926, Dania voted to become part of its larger and more prosperous neighbor, Hollywood. But after the September 1926 Miami hurricane decimated Hollywood’s fortunes, Dania reincorporated itself into a city. Some areas decided to stay within Hollywood, leading to Dania’s current disjointed city boundaries. On November 1998, Dania formally changed its name to Dania Beach; however Dania is still commonly used to refer to the city. In 2001, the city annexed several unincorporated areas of Broward County increasing the population by about 3,600 people.
Formerly known as the “Tomato Capital of the World,” once the city went from a farming settlement to an urban city, it soon took on the name “The Antique Capital of the South,” due to its many antique shops in Downtown Dania Beach, especially along Federal Highway, known as the city’s “Antique Row.”